domingo, 29 de abril de 2018

I'm graduating law school, but hate the field. I'm considering starting up a business, but have some questions and would love some input. entrepreneur how earn by blogging blog

Like I said in the title, I'm about to graduate from law school. Simply put, I despise the legal field. I've done lots of political work, volunteer and paid. In high school and college, I worked manual labor jobs. I ultimately want to be able to come home at night and feel like I actually provided value to society (which is why law has been so unappealing).

So...I'm looking for options. I've considered a variety of standard desk jobs, but something I keep coming back to is starting my own business. I have the work ethic, I'd like to think I have the brains, and I have around $1000 of capital available. However, I am totally incompetent at any kind of programming or web development, so a ton of posts on here aren't too helpful for computer illiterates like myself.

I'm in Nashville, TN, if it matters. We have warm springs, hot and humid summers, and late-starting falls. It doesn't really snow (maybe one or two "big" <6" snows a year) in the winter.

The first question I have revolves around the most basic decision: what should I do? I'm not asking for direct "do this" advice, really, but rather for some personal input on what you've done that worked, or what you've seen people with my background do successfully. I've seen a few posts on pressure washing that interested me. At the same time, I feel like not using the skills I've gained in college and law school (critical thinking, public speaking, writing, persuasion, and negotiation) would basically mean that I wasted 6 years of my life. A bit of a gambler's fallacy, I know, but...if those skills ring any bells, I'd love hear it!

Second, how long should I expect to be broke? This depends a lot on the field and circumstances, so again, it would be nice if you could share how long it took for your specific business to make enough to pay yourself, or at least to cover rent/utilities/gas/food. I know that I will be basically working for free for a while. My wife works right now, and has supported us while I've been as useful as a three-legged race horse in law school. If necessary, we could continue like this for a year or two more. I really don't want to stretch it much farther.

Third, how long should it take to go from start to finish? If I want to start working by the end of May, can I do that? Should I do that? Is it better to take my time, or is it better to just get things up and running? While you'd think I'd learn how business planning works in law school, I didn't (even contract drafting was an elective), so any wisdom y'all could impart would be great.

Finally, what pitfalls should I expect or be on the watch for? You guys have done this before. What problem hit you that you weren't expecting?

I know a lot of this can be found in bits and pieces scattered across the sub, but I've seen most of it and would love to get some new input that's a little more tailored to the questions I have. Thanks!

submitted by /u/vivere_aut_mori
[link] [comments]

from Entrepreneur https://ift.tt/2FpPcnr
via IFTTT
$$$http://howmakemoneywithblogging.blogspot.com/$$$

how to make money out of blogging & become a successful blogger

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario