lunes, 31 de julio de 2017

Paying operating profit vs. hourly. Conflict and seeking advice entrepreneur how earn by blogging blog

I own a small company with under 20 employees. When I started two years ago I brought on a person who was renting space from me as a manager and offered her operating profit as pay. We both see the same kind of private client and at the time made $110 an hour on top of this operating profit. This has been going great and there are months that she was making quite a bit of money. Fast forward and I've moved out of state and I'm running the business remotely. I now don't have access to those private customers and I only make operating profit. We were then in a situation last summer where between the managers, we were answering phones and this manager just would not answer them- or would be really slow to respond to both customers and staff.

My fix was to play to her strengths and give her work that wasn't time sensitive and give the time sensitive work to people who now make hourly pay for $13 an hour. She continued to make operating profit plus $110 an hour for customers, but a little less operating profit because I had to hire hourly people to answer phones and do office work.

Fast forward again and this summer I took a big risk and added a whole bunch of new retail, plus hired more hourly work- as I realized I was personally working about 75 hours a week and it was making my personal life and health suffer quite a bit.

The result of this is that I am paying myself for hourly work- about $500 a week for about 50 hours- but our operating profit is flat because of this big risk I took with increased retail. (My small risks always work out well so I'm not too concerned.)

I'm sure that once we get back past our break even with more growth - both of us will be making incredible operating profit again, but in the meantime she is not making any operating profit because of my retail risk. When she brought this up to me, I agreed it was an issue and offered 1. that I create budgets for retail, overhead etc so that this doesn't happen again and 2. that she do her management work during hours that we need hourly work and I would pay her $25 for hourly work plus a small percentage like 15% of operating profit instead of the 50% that she makes right now. She thought about it a little bit and came back and said she likes the flexibility of not having a schedule or set hours or even having to report an amount of hours, but thinks she deserves to get paid. She then suggested that the way I pay myself is unfair because we are both managers. My rational may not be fair, but it is that I moved away and don't have access to the $3-4K I was making a week with personal customers and now only make $2K a month in hourly work plus operating profit, because I am restricted to answering phones, finances and marketing and I do this work during hours where the phones need to be answered so that we don't have to hire more hourly people. I also pay myself probably $8-$10 an hour for this work passed through the business instead of the $13 I pay an employee. I'm thinking that this situation isn't quite fair, but I'm not sure how to fix it? I offered the hourly work plus operating profit hoping that would fix the situation but this manager doesn't want a set schedule or commitment but still wants to get paid. I agree she deserves compensation for her work- but how do I do that and justify it if she could easily just answer the phone as well during her hours?

submitted by /u/tenthousandseconds
[link] [comments]

from Entrepreneur http://ift.tt/2tRL9eX
via IFTTT
add adsense to blogger

how much money do bloggers make? can blogs make money? make money off ads how to get money from blogging? best websites to make money blog adsense income earn from blogging website ideas to make money how websites make money?

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario